Taking a family ski holiday is a high spot of the year and creating these special moments is a real joy. If you’ve been skiing for a while, and know which type of resorts you love,choosing a more permanent base in your favourite is a logical next step. At SnowOnly we’re experts in helping find somewhere that will be somewhere the whole family will enjoy. We also offer a property alert service, so you’ll be first to know about your ideal home in the mountains.
What makes a great base for a family ski holiday?
Every family is different, and while some might need a property at the centre of a buzzy resort, like these apartments in La Plagne other families might prefer somewhere that’s a real mountain retreat. Whatever environment you prefer, there’s some common features that make a family ski holiday even more enjoyable.
A long walk in stiff boots can be a challenge, especially for little legs, so try to pick a place with easy access to the piste
If your family is new to skiing then a ski school close by will help them get up to speed n no time, as well as being somewhere to make friends
A space for everyone to enjoy
You may need somewhere big enough for your extended family get togethers, a ski property with fantastic mountain views, or somewhere with its own garden. Think about all the things you love doing as a family and build your search around them
What sort of location should I look for for a family skiing holiday?
Whether you need a property close to the centre of the village, or long for a secluded home in the mountains, location is a key consideration to help you decide which property to choose.
- Transfer time. This is a biggie, especially if you’re travelling with young children. Being close to the airport or motorway links will mean everyone can start enjoying their holiday that bit sooner
- Older children and teenagers may want to meet up with friends, so choosing a ski property close to the resort centre will make a big difference.
- If your ideal holiday is more about getting away from it all, and building memories together then think about looking for a secluded ski property, so you can enjoy time together and create a real home from home feel
What sort of facilities should I look for?
Again this depends on your vision of your ideal family ski holiday. If you love the idea of everyone getting together over big shared dinners, or spending time soaking up majestic mountain views, then a ski property with a veranda or terrace will be a must. If spending time cooking is definitely not part of your perfect break, then a ski home with a restaurant on site will be ideal.
- Ski properties with hotel type facilities give you access to things like bars and restaurants, spas, saunas and excellent child care.
- A ski property with a pool means fun for the children on non-ski days, and somewhere to soothe weary adult legs
- Choosing a ski property with a garden is great for creating a base where you can all spend time together, and children can play - ideal if you’re looking for somewhere for longer breaks.
Whatever your perfect family ski holiday looks like, we can help you find exactly the right property. Our buyers guides talk you through everything you need to know about the ins and outs of buying abroad. We’ve also put together a guide of how to continue your property hunt during Covid-19, so you can make sure there’s plenty to look forward to when we can all get back on the slopes.
To make sure your don’t miss out, register to receive our property alerts and receive personalised updates on the latest listings, including discounted properties.